New York aims to create a “net-zero” carbon economy by 2050, one in which carbon emissions are completely offset with carbon removal. (Photo credit: Pixabay/JuergenPM)
By Gina Vitale
Our weekly round-up of news stories about human, animal, and environmental health, from within our community and around the world.
FEATURED: New York to approve one of the world’s most ambitious climate plans
The New York Times, June 18, 2019
By 2050, New York’s pollution levels will be 85% below what they were in 1990, according to the newly minted Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act. The other 15% will be offset, potentially by atmospheric CO2 removal, bringing New York’s carbon footprint down to zero.
Changing your meat-eating habits could mean a longer life, study suggests
CNN, June 13, 2019
Eating more red meat can be linked to a higher risk of early death, according to research published in medical journal BMJ. The study’s senior author says that swapping out red meat for fish, nuts, and poultry can mediate that risk.
How Argentina is saving one of Earth’s most remote places
National Geographic, June 13, 2019
Eric Sala, a National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence and advocate for ocean protection, documents his journey to the edge of Tierra del Fuego. Findings from his trip spurred the Argentine government to create a marine park in that region of the ocean.
Climate change could threaten dogs with diseases pushing into new parts of the USA
USA Today, June 15, 2019
Dog ailments such as heartworm disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and Lyme disease are spreading across the U.S., and experts postulate that climate change may be contributing to this distribution.
Ammonia pollution damaging more than 60% of UK land–report
The Guardian, June 18, 2019
Ammonia and nitrogen pollution, originating mainly from farmland, is significantly affecting local wildlife in the United Kingdom, according to a government report. Studies suggest that the most sensitive areas are being overloaded the most with pollutants.
Glyphosate, the active ingredient in the weed killer Roundup, was found in 21 products, from breakfast cereal to granola bars. (Photo credit: Pixabay/PublicDomainPictures)
By Gina Vitale
Our weekly round-up compiles stories and news, both from here at Penn and around the world, that highlight the intersection of animal, environmental, and human health.
Cheerios, Nature Valley cereals contain Roundup ingredient, study finds
CBS News, June 13, 2019
Six varieties of Cheerios and some varieties of Nature Valley granola bars were among 21 products that tested positive for traces of glyphosate, the active ingredient in the weed killer Roundup. In 17 of the products, glyphosate levels were above what is considered safe for children by the Environmental Working Group.
Are we killing off all the wild buffalo that still know how to roam? Most of the bison that wander out of Yellowstone National Park are fair game.
Popular Science, June 6, 2019
A massive conservation effort revitalized the bison population after 19th-century colonization decimated the once-abundant population. While most are now in fenced-in herds, the last wild bison are much fewer in number, living in Yellowstone National Park. Those that travel outside of the park are often hunted, leaving researchers to wonder whether humans are forcing a natural selection that will favor bison that don’t roam free.
Pollution standards on the Ohio River are now optional and local environmental groups are alarmed
NEXT Pittsburgh, June 11, 2019
The Ohio River provides drinking water for about 5 million people, but as of last week, the member states of the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission—Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia—no longer have to abide by the commission’s regulations. For the first time since 1948, the states may choose to follow their own local rules for water quality.
Striking photos show a decade of environmental decline along the Ganges
CNN, June 12, 2019
The 1,500-mile Ganges River is a site of great spiritual significance to many worshippers in India. But lately, it has become littered with pollution. A series of photos captures this new reality.
Two-hour ‘dose’ of nature significantly boosts health—study: Researchers say simply sitting and enjoying the peace has mental and physical benefits
The Guardian, June 13, 2019
People who spent two or hours in nature per week were more likely to be in good health and satisfied in life, according to a new study. To get these results, researchers interviewed 20,000 people in England about how they spent their previous week.